Ham & Egg Parade

New Brighton had a skeleton and it wasn't in the cupboard. The 'Ham and Egg Parade was big, brash, and vulgar, with cheap lodging-houses and eating-houses. It was not only a thorn in the side of Victorian and Edwardian respectability, but a total embarrassment to the council who in 1905 bought the property and pulled the lot down. It had been a hawkers' paradise, with shooting galleries and fortune tellers. There were wooden steps down to the soft white sands, the walkway outside was so narrow that quite often people fell off. The sands opposite disfigured by tawdry sideshows. Degeneration had set in.

There were fights. There were it was said "goings on." It was certainly rich with life and colour. It cost the Wallasey Urban District Council the princely sum of £41,500 to buy it and then knock it down. The town applauded its removal. A sore had gone.


New Brighton Pier 1875

A meeting took place of the ratepayers of Wallasey to consider authorising the local Board to apply to parliament for power to raise funds to erect a new pier at New Brighton, slip, and landing-stages at Egremont Ferry; the improvemt of Secombe Ferry; and the building of two new ferry steamers. With many complaints concerning the condition of the landing stage at New Brighton and the cost of repairing the same, something had to be done.

In 1864 a parliamentary committee considered the proposal, concerning the New Brighton Pier Company they would be given the opportunity to build an adequate landing-pier for a sum less than it would cost the board to build one themselves.

In April 1864 the New Brighton Pier Company abandoned their intention to erect a pier in conjunction with the board
May 14 1864 a bill came before the House of Lords " The New Brighton Pier Bill" the company could lease or allow the purchase by the Local Board of the proposed pier and works.
The Finance Committee reported on the 3 Feb 1865 that the loans they had been authorised to borrow for the erection of New Brighton Pier and the two new steamers had been completed.
November 3rd 1865 tenders advertised for the completion of the New Brighton pier and landing stage. Report in the Liverpool Mecury of 24th May 1866 stated that the pier and landing stage had been completed.
It was 550 feet long and 70 feet wide.